It’s summer time and EVERYBODY in the Pacific Northwest has zucchini. So here is they way we enjoy it for months.
1 cup vegetable oil
2 cups white sugar
3 cups grated zucchini (I used a huge zucchini from our garden)
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup rolled oats
3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 chopped walnuts
2 tablespoons rolled oats
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees f. Grease and flour two 8×4 inch loafs of four small ones. It is best to cut a small piece of parchment for the bottom of pan then spray with Pam.
2. In a large bowl or kitchenaid, beat eggs until light an frothy. Mix in oil and sugar. Add vanilla.
3. In a small bowl combine flour, cinnamon, soda, baking powder, salt and nuts. Stir into egg mixture beating on low. Add flour mixture one cup at a time.
4. Make sure the sides of the bowl are scrapped with a spatula, then add zucchini and stir with a spoon until well blended.
5. Divide into pans. Sprinkle with rolled oats and bake fro 60 to 70 minutes. I usually check it at 50 to see what’s happening. Insert a cake tester and when it comes out clean and the outside of the bread is nice and brown it’s done.
For Lemon Cream Cheese topping
4 Teaspoons of Lemon Curd. Central Market has it if not World Market has a good one too.
1 package of any kind cream cheese.
1 cup of powdered sugar
Mix all ingredients together until all are combined.
Put in the refrigerator for a while until ready to use.
I doubled the recipe and made a few bundles for friends and mailed some to my mom in Texas. To keep the topping fresh just put in a canning jar. Cute presentation too.
To enjoy all winter long just freeze them. I put in a ziploc bag, freeze for a couple of hours, after frozen I take them out and put in a vacuum pack, label and freeze again. It keeps well past winter break.