Blueberry Lemon Bread
So in thinking of fresh new things to make with fresh veggies and fruits before they rot in my awesome Bolga Baskets, I went to consult the greats on my kitchen bookshelf; My crush, Tom Douglas, my beloved, Martha Stewart, The Old Farmer’s Almanac and Country Living Magazine.
So which recipe did I use? A compilation or messy mess that turned out to be my very own creation, purely out of necessity. Quick tip and note to self: Read recipes, do inventory, go shopping and be ready. I neither had buttermilk nor enough butter, lemons, etc. etc. and etc.
Here’s my version which (if I do say so myself) turned out amazing!
To make four small loaves or 2 8 x4 loaf pans I did this.
BLUEBERRY LEMON BREAD WITH LEMON GLAZE
1 !!!ENTIRE!!!! stick of butter melted and let it cool.
1/3 cup of cream cheese room temperature
2 cups sugar
4 eggs room temperature
2 lemons juiced (not like MLB players… har har!)
3 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 Tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 cup coconut milk or use regular milk or that dreaded buttermilk
4 tablespoons lemon zest and I saved some for the glaze
2 cups super fresh farmers market blueberries. I’m sure this recipe will work with any berry.
1 cup confectioner’s sugar
1 tequila shot of lemon juice (I used Italian Volcano 100% Organic Lemon Juice from a bottle! but you can use anything I’m sure)
- Preheat oven at 350 degree F (175 C ) Prepare loaf pans with butter and flour or line or spray with cooking spray. It all works.
- Zest two lemons into a small bowl. Slice naked lemons and juice into a strainer to avoid the pesky seeds. Set aside.
- In medium bowl mix all dry ingredients; Flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside ……Save a tablespoon of dry mixture and shake it into the blueberries until coated.
- So now you have a medium bowl with flour mixture, a small bowl of washed and towel padded blueberries that have been coated with flour mixture, zest bowl and juice bowl.
- In a large bowl (KitchenAid or hand mixers work too), cream the butter, cream cheese and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs one by one and beat well then mix in lemon juice beating for another 2 minutes.
- Add the flour mixture alternating with the milk on slower speed. Once it is all wet run it on a higher speed for about 2 minutes to fluff it up a bit.
- Add lemon zest on low speed for a bit, just to mix.
- Remove bowl from mixer and with a spoon gently fold in blueberries.
- Pour evenly into prepared pans. ((((NOTE: if you don’t want to use glaze this is the moment to sprinkle with hard raw sugar I use Torbinado (my fav)…))))
- Put in oven and bake for 1 hour for the large loaves and 45 minutes for the small loaves. Check with the baking stick if it comes out clean ..yaddy yadda… it’s done.
- Turn over on a cooling rack and cool for about five minutes and then drizzle glaze and let cool for 30 minutes before wrapping with pretty paper or just eat it!