- 1 box of Spice Cake mix
- 1 small can of crushed pineapple (drain juice)
- 3 eggs
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup of water or milk
- 1/2 cup of raisins white or dark
- 1/2 cup of chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup shredded carrot (2 large ones )
- 1/2 cup of coconut flakes
- 3 tablespoons flour
- Cream Cheese Frosting (recipe follows) Make this before anything and put in refrigerator so it sets good.
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 2 sticks of cream cheese (low fat ok)
- 2 1/2 cups of powdered sugar
- 1 tsp melted butter
- 1 tsp lemon juice (opt)
- 1/2 coconut flakes to sprinkle on top (optional)
Whip until fluffy .
Heat oven at 350F degrees. Prepare your pans; Two round 9 inch or a 13 x 9 pyrex.
In a med bowl mix drained pineapple, raisins, coconut and nuts set aside.
In large bowl (Mixer bowl) mix cake, water, eggs, oil and flour. Slowly stir in pineapple mixture.
Divide into pans or pour onto large pyrex.
Bake for 35 minutes or until cake tester comes out clean yaddy yadda. You know the drill.
Cool completely for over an hour. Frost with cream cheese frosting.
This pineapple casserole was originally from my mother in law and it’s my husband’s favorite.
Her recipe (right) is delicious with only a few basic ingredients of egg, flour, sugar, pineapple, bread and butter. Although I make it often as the original recipe calls, on occasion I add a few things.
We call my modified version, Pina Colada French Toast.
- 3 eggs with yolks
- 3 egg whites
- 2 tbsps flour
- dash of salt
- 1/2 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup sugar or 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 2 cups of crushed or pineapple chunks or 1 bag frozen pineapple
- 1/2 cup of coconut reserving a bit for sprinkling top
- 1/2 cup of crushed pecans or walnuts (optional)
- 1 stick of butter
- 1/4 cup of vegetable oil
- Six slices of white bread. Brioche is best but any dense bread will do.
Preheat oven at 350 degrees.Butter or spray a baking dish either 9 x9 or 10 x 10. A larger dish will make it thinner but still good.
Beat eggs, flour, salt, vanilla, sugar until well blended. Stir in pineapple and coconut and pour into pan.
Melt butter in microwave, add oil and blend. Cut bread into squares and toss with butter mix until most of the bread is coated. Spread bread over egg mixture pressing down slightly. Sprinkle a bit of coconut on top of bread.
Bake at 350 for 45 minutes or until it is set. Serve warm or cold. I like it warm with a drizzle of maple syrup but my husband prefers it cold after a few hours in the fridge.
It is amazing by itself but you can add berries, bananas, whipped cream or even a side of bacon. Grab a cup of coffee, tea or Mimosa and breakfast is done.
It is okay to make the night before a brunch and bake in the morning.